Tuesday, August 3, 2010

List of Accomplishments (well, only if I finish them)

I'm leaving for the BlogHer Conference in a couple of days, and inspired by my friend Lolli (who I hope to spend some time with while there), I'm posting my to-do list. I'm hoping the accountability of writing this out will help me finish.

Things I need to finish:

1. Clean out my car - heaven forbid something happen to me and someone else has to deal will all those cracker crumbs.

2. Laundry - it's not enough to decide what to wear; it actually has to be clean, too.

3. Re-evaluate the shoe situation - I can't possibly need this many pairs of shoes for 3 days.

4. Toenails - enough said.

5. Find and pack chargers - why does every electronic device require a different charger? Can't we all just get along here?

6. Clear off my desk space - this stuff is completely out of control and buried in here somewhere are all the bills - who wants to come home to this?

7. Think about what to do in my time off - it's New York City, and I want to make the most of every minute!

8. Stop worrying about leaving so much - before the kids were born, I traveled for work all the time, so I know what to expect when I leave Red on his own (a weird number of Taco Bell meals and him staying up way too late, as well as strange organizational frenzies that might leave my closet bare), but I've never left Red and the kids alone for more than about 3 or 4 hours. Crazy, huh? Never, not a girls' weekend, not a long shopping trip, nothing. I am sure they can handle it, but 4 days with no mom - anything could happen here.


Things I have already managed to do:

1. Fill the house with kid-friendly, low-cooking foods - so what if they live on cereal bars and fruit snacks for a few days...and I included Oreos, not because the kids like them, but because Red loves them, and experience shows that a happy parent leads to happy children (at least, that's how it works with me).

2. Restore some order to the kids' rooms - and do enough laundry that they should at least have something to wear every day until I get back.

3. Resist the urge to make an hour-by-hour comprehensive list of activities for those 4 days - they really will be okay without an exacting timetable of soccer practice/swimming lesson/meal schedules, right? RIGHT????

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how exciting to be leaving it all at home :) And just be in NYC! Wish I was tagging along! Life just keeps adding more responsibility lately ... Red will be great, as well as the kids. Enjoy the chance to get away and good luck getting it all done before you leave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of fun! You'll make it just fine and so will Red and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will be fine and we have lots of German sausage so Taco Bell isn't necessary

    ReplyDelete
  4. He'll do great. I would have wanted your hour by hour list with the express understanding that I would use it when necessary. I thin it would be nice as a fall back, but that is just me. Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete